Friday, July 10, 2015

Don't Overlook this Inspection

When we purchased our current home in 2011, we were very careful.
For instance, even though I'm a seasoned real estate broker, I hired a colleague to be our Buyer's Agent. I was glad I did... her help and expertise were invaluable. They say that an attorney who represents themselves has a fool for a client. That's true for real estate brokers, too.
I made sure that I went over the property with a fine-tooth comb. I had a complete home inspection. The home has three independent heating and air conditioning systems, so I had each system inspected by an HVAC contractor (and, as a result, we decided to replace one unit for $8,000). I had a roof inspector "walk the lid" and issue a 3-yr roof certificate.

  Many homes need more than one type of inspection

A pool inspector came out and inspected the pool chemistry, condition of the stucco, the filter and filtration equipment, the electrical connections (including the pool light) and the electrical panel, and the natural-gas pool heater. He passed the pool with flying colors and taught me how to operate the pool systems.

  Always have a built-in pool inspected

Finally, we closed escrow and moved in on Saturday.
Sunday morning, we turned on the washing machine and all the first-floor toilets backed up all over the floor.
WE FORGOT THE SEWER INSPECTION!
The plumber who saved us - the repair ended up costing about $1000 - opened the clean out drain in the ground next to our front door and showed us all the roots that were invading the pipe and making the toilets back up.

  Buying a resale home? Get a sewer inspection

We learned the hard way... a sewer inspection would have cost me about $185 and discovered bad root problems, which I could have negotiated to have the seller remove before purchase, saving me big bucks.
I recommend that you have the sewer inspected on any resale home you purchase. 
Don't get suckered by plumber's ads offering free inspections - pay for a visual inspection of your sewer line(s) from the toilet and sink to the street (the city or county sewer main that meets your pipe at the street).

  plumber will inspect sewer with camera

Include a sewer inspection in your due diligence if you are considering purchasing a resale home. Spending a little money up front will give you peace of mind if all is OK, and you'll have the information you need to renegotiate terms of the home sale if the sewer turns out to be a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment